Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sweet & Savory Pear and Apple Soup

How many things can you change about a recipe before it is not the same recipe anymore?  It is a question I ponder often. If I walk into my kitchen, pull ingredients I have on hand and create a dish, I consider that "my" recipe. On the other hand, if I see a recipe that I think sounds good, even if I change almost everything about it, but wouldn't have otherwise thought of the concept, I think credit is due to the original recipe.  What are your thoughts on this? 

I saw a recipe for Apple and Pear Soup on allrecipes.  I changed/added so many things about the recipe. The recipe calls for tart apples, but at this time of year, I'm madly in love with our locally grown Gala apples. To my palate, they have the perfect texture with just the right amount of crispness, the perfect juiciness, and the perfect sweetness, so that is what I used.  The original recipe calls for fresh ginger, so I thought onions and garlic would enhance the flavor profile.  Also, in the end, I squeezed in the juice of a lemon to help balance the sweetness of the apples and add brightness to the soup. 

My husband was surprised by this soup.  He had seen the apples and pears, washed and on the cutting board, thought they would be a dessert, but he loved the soup. It is very warming and he said he thought it would be a great thing to eat when you have a cold.

Sweet & Savory Pear and Apple Soup
2 Tbsp. butter
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 apples, peeled and chopped
3 pears, peeled and chopped
2 cloved garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. pureed fresh ginger
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions, apples, and pears. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and ginger and stir for a minute longer. Add vegetable broth, sage, and bay leaf. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for about 20 - 25 minutes until pears, apples, and onions are tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. 

Puree the soup in a blender until very smooth, not filling more than half full. Pour into a clean pan and reheat. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper Taste to adjust seasonings.  Serve piping hot garnished with chopped fresh parsley. 



4 comments:

  1. Your soup looks wonderfully smooth and creamy and unlike any other recipe I've seen before. I do think that if you find a recipe and change the core of it significantly it becomes yours, even if the "idea" belonged to someone else. Now, if I find a recipe and I only change a few minor things (like up the seasoning) I can't take credit. If you are uncomfortable with taking full credit you can always say that your recipe was "inspired by".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about your beautiful soup through out the day, as I made jam. It is the best of home cooking. Cooking what you have (or prefer, which is usually what grows local) and serving it with pride. Such bonus points that your husband enjoyed this, unfortunately my Honey would not. I agree with Susi, it is yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have thought of making a savoury recipe out of apples and pears - your soup looks creamy and thick. I would love to scale this recipe down and try some, just for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I used this as an inspiration for making a sweet-n-savory apple-onion sauce for sausage and cabbage wraps. It was great!

    ReplyDelete