Saturday, October 16, 2010

Farmhouse Chicken Pot Pie


Remember the folder of old recipes I brought back last summer from a trip to my Parent's home, and my hometown, in Alabama? When I was looking at this one, Mama told me it was a very good recipe.  She clipped tore the recipe from The Atlanta Journal on Wednesday, October 9, 1968.

The recipe calls for a very unusual ingredient--powdered creamer.  I suppose it was a hot, new item at that time.  I bought the smallest size of  "original" Coffee Mate, started reading the ingredients, and made myself stop it at once!  Some things you just don't want to know.

I was most intrigued by the cheese pastry.


Ready for the Oven


Farmhouse Chicken Pot Pie
1 4-pound stewing chicken, cut into pieces
4 sprigs parsley
1 stalk celery, cut up
1 bay leaf
1 onion
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup powdered creamer
1 cup cooked sliced carrots
1 cup cooked peas
1 cup cooked small white onions

Cheese Pastry
1/4  cup soft butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Place chicken in large kettle with parsley, celery, bay leaf and onion; cover with water.  Bring to boil; cover and simmer until chicken is tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).  Remove from heat.  Allow chicken to stand in stock until cool.  Remove chicken, discarding skin and bones.  Cut meat into large pieces.  Strain stock; measure 2 cups and reheat to boiling. In saucepan, melt butter over low heat until frothy.  Blend in flour, cook and stir 1 minute without coloring.  Add powdered creamer and hot chicken stock all at once, beating with wire whip to blend.  Increase heat to moderately high; cook and stir until sauce comes to a boil and thickens.  Adjust seasonings.  Add chicken and the cooked vegetables.  Spoon into a deep-dish pie plate or 1 1/2 quart casserole.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Combine all ingredients for pastry; roll about 1/4 inch thick. (Cheese pastry will be more moist than normal pastry). Cut into strips; arrange lattice fashion over top of casserole and secure edges.  Bake 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake 30 to 40 minutes. or until crust is golden brown.



Mama was right.  This is a very good recipe. My husband and I both loved it very much


8 comments:

  1. It looks just delicious. I love old recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocquie, that cheese pastry sounds and looks wonderful as does the rest of the pot pie! I've been looking for a good recipe for one and this definitely looks like a keeper considering how long it's been around :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this old newspaper clipping. What a wonderful looking pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this looks delicious! Pie, any pie is good in my book, this one would be delicious. Your thick crust weave on top, I could eat the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creamer - how intriguing! And I love that cheese pastry on top, I can almost taste it. Hmm..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in NC too! Small world! The pie looks absolutely delicous! I'm going to have to make it the next time I start craving hearty comfort food - yum!

    xoxo
    Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a gorgeous pot pie! Chicken pot pie is a favorite in our house, usually topped with buttermilk biscuits. But that cheese pastry looks so good, can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete