Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cream Cheese (Candy Roaster) Squash Bread with Toasted Pecans

 This was originally a Southern Living recipe for Banana Bread.  I had made several Candy Roaster Squash pies, had some leftover puree, froze some for later, and decided to use the balance for bread.  Originally, I had in mind using the flavors of orange and fresh ginger.  After looking at a number of Squash Bread and Pumpkin Bread recipes, nothing was really ringing my chimes.  Then I remembered the banana bread recipe my husband loves so much, which is flavored with cream cheese and toasted pecans.

Don't skip toasting your pecans because it really does add another level of delicious flavor and aroma to the bread. Some people toast their nuts in the oven.  I toast mine in a skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally. Pull the nuts from the heat as soon as you smell them because once they become fragrant, they will burn very quickly.

Also, I did use a Candy Roaster squash, but acorn, butternut, pumpkin, or any other winter squash should work just fine.

Cream Cheese (Candy Roaster) Squash Bread with Toasted Pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups squash puree
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating  just until blended after each addition.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.  Stir in squash puree, pecans, and vanilla.  Spoon in prepared pans. 

Bake for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides pull away from pan.  Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.



And here are some other interesting and pretty squashes, pumpkins, and gourds I saw on my trip to the Farmers Market to find a Candy Roaster Squash.




10 comments:

  1. What a beautifully golden bread. I love that little ribbon of cream cheese that's running through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of cream cheese in quick breads, but man o mister that sure sounds delicious! I have a butternut on the table that will be roasted, some I will serve with pesto (roasted butternut and pesto is delicious together and beautiful to look at) and some will make this bread.

    Your photos of the produce at the market are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! hold the phone, how about that glaze? Mine never turns our right, how do you make yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, Melynda, I forgot to mention the glaze. I simply mixed together about a cup of confectioners sugar with a teaspoon or two of half and half, until smooth. Then drizzled over bread after it was removed from the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, very interesting recipe with the cream cheese! Looks so moist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures of the farmer's market squashes. One looks better than the next!
    Love this recipe! I might not be able to find the extremely cool sounding candy roaster but I bet this would be a hit with pumpkin at our house. Love the cream cheese stripe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at the word cream cheese!

    Love the glaze, the ribbon of cream cheese and the first photo of the squash - so very pretty. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen squashes and gourds like the ones in your pictures. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the thing for the pile of assorted winter squash on my counter, from the last few weeks of my farm boxes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this website presents quality based content and other material, is
    there any other web site which provides such information in quality?

    ReplyDelete