Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ginger Man Cookies


I have missed my blog! And all my blog friends. The last of our company pulled out yesterday around noon and I spent the rest of the day trying to get both my home and myself back together.  I had thought I would blog about some of the food we made for Thanksgiving, and post some recipes, but I  find myself wanting to put that behind me and move forward. 

Today, we are having a rainy day--one of those deary all day rains. I have beans soaking to make a bean soup for supper, I'm enjoying the quietude, and thinking about Christmas baking.  I have put away my Thanksgiving recipes and have out my folder of cookie recipes.

I am making lists of both items to bake and a companion grocery list. I like to make both sweet and savory goods and something new each year.  Last summer, while I was going through some of Mama's old recipes, I found Aunt Wanda's oatmeal cookie recipe, so that is added. I also recently discovered a recipe for peanut butter shortbread with salted chocolate, which sounds scrumptious to me, so I'll be baking those. 

To kick things off, here is a copycat recipe for the crispy and spicy Pepperidge Farms Ginger Man Cookies that I have always loved.  I found the recipe at keyingredient.com and they really do taste like the actual cookie. 

Ginger Man Cookies
1 cup dark brown sugar - (packed)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup molasses
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Sugar crystals
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Cream together the sugars, shortening, molasses, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring while you add it.

Roll a portion of the dough out on a heavily floured surface. Roll to under 1/4-inch thick. Cut the cookies using a man-shaped cookie cutter, or any other cookie cutter shape you’ve got.

Place cookies on an oiled cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Bake only one cookie sheet of cookies at a time.

This recipe yields about 3 dozen cookies.

**These cookies expand a lot, so leave plenty of room between them**

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're back! I'm not much of a baker, but I did buy some basics at the grocery store today with cookies in mind. Would love for you to post your Aunt "Wanda's" cookie recipe!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, hey, hey Welcome back! Those little men look great, but I don't have the patience for roll and cut cookies. Maybe rolled in balls and flattened with a cookie stamp, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expand a lot too when I encounter of plate of gingerman cookies! They're adorable.

    ReplyDelete