Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cherry Eton Mess



MY AUNT AND UNCLE HAD A VAST CHERRY TREE which grew right beside their house. As a girl, I could climb from their second story porch right into that great tree.

Every summer, our family would pile into the car for our annual trek from our home in Alabama to visit my Dad's hometown in Akron, Ohio. There we would split up and move from relative to relative, spending time with each.

My cherry tree uncle was a trucker so he was away from home a lot. But I loved spending time with my aunt and their five (5!) rowdy sons. Their home was loud, messy, and chaotic. The only thing she ever said to me while I was eating cherry after cherry after cherry while sitting in the tree, was a warning that if I kept it up, I would have a tummy ache. I paid her no regard, thinking the joy of eating a seemingly endless supply of cherries, fresh, juicy, and warm, straight from the tree would be worth it.

I never had a problem digesting all those cherries. And when I think about it now, I know my own mother would have been worried about much more than stomach troubles if she had ever seen me perched high in the branches of that mighty tree.





Eton Mess is an English dessert made with baked meringue cookies, strawberries, and cream. I made mine with fresh cherries.

I had some meringues, which store beautifully in an airtight container, leftover from making my Tapioca Pudding. You can see a recipe here.

I love homemade whipped cream. It is super, super simple to make.  It was one of the tasks my mother handed over to me when I was just a little girl. I would make it using an old-style, hand, rotary mixer. You know if a little girl can make it, you can too.  Here is a recipe.





Cherry Eton Mess
Fresh cherries, washed, pitted, and halved
Meringue cookies
Freshly whipped and sweetened cream

Layer, as desired, crushing some of the meringues if you wish, in a pretty glass. Garnish with a whole cherry.





















6 comments:

  1. I haven't had an Elton Mess in ages, and never with cherries. Love the idea! I haven't climbed a tree in years. I used to be fearless at it, although now I'll bet I wouldn't get more than a few feet from the ground. Growing up is mostly a good thing, but not entirely. ;-) Anyway, great post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, not only would I be chicken to try to climb a tree now, it would be physically impossible. I am so glad I took advantage and did it while I could! Lovely memories. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and thank you so much for your comment. --Rocquie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely memory. Thank you, Rocquie! (I love food stories.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I love food stories too and I have so many fond food memories. Maybe more of them will emerge. . .and thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  4. I did not have a cherry tree to feast from, but there were yellow plum trees that grew in the banks of the creek where we live in Marin County. And while I did not have to climb the tree, I would sit on the bank, with feet in the creek, eating plums. Plum after plum, yes good memories, just like yours. Kids and trees, they do go together. Now about that mess, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, eating plums straight from the tree with feet soaking in cool creek water sounds pretty heavenly. There is nothing like eating fruit straight from the tree is there? Thank you for sharing your memory and thanks for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete