Thursday, February 14, 2013

Chocolate Pudding & Homemade Whipped Cream



Valentine's Day is the only holiday I know of which catches so much grief. Some are downright antagonistic towards it. I can understand people not involved in a relationship feeling a little depressed about the public reminder. I've been there myself. But for people who are in good relationships to go out of their way with such declarations as, "I don't need any stinking holiday", "my boyfriend shows his love to me all the time", "it's just a marketing stunt" and so on, I ask: Why the hostility?  If you choose not to celebrate, I promise no one would notice any more than about any other holiday (which are just as heavily, if not more marketed) you may or may not choose to recognize.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. -- Shakespeare. ??

Anyway, my husband and I like Valentine's Day. It is a kitschy little winter holiday without any pressure at all. We keep it very simple and it is fun to exchange flowers, chocolates, books, music, and mushy cards as reminders of romance.  We will have dinner together, at home, and be grateful for the other.

For dessert tonight, I made chocolate pudding with real, homemade whipped cream. The pudding recipe states it is for 6 servings but we'll see about that. I will grab 2 spoons and take the whole bowl to eat in front of the TV. See I told you we are romantic.

Chocolate Pudding
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
Pinch of salt
3 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan, stir together the cocoa, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Over medium heat, gradually stir in milk.  Cook and stir constantly until the mixtures reaches a boil. Continue to cook and stir for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Pour into a serving bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to keep a skin from forming.

Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk the cream with a wire whisk or electric mixer until peaks begin to form. Stir in the sugar and vanilla. Continue whisking or beating until desired  consistency is reached. Be careful not to beat too much or you will turn it into butter.

1 comment:

  1. These simple desserts are always the best ones! We love chocolate pudding, from the same bowl....

    ReplyDelete