Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Potato & Spinach Fritata

 

I am not a breakfast eater and never have been. This has always been puzzling to both my Mother and my Husband--they wake up ravenous and can't wait to get to the kitchen.  And of course, there is "They". You know, "Them"? The ones who rule our lives and tell us, among other things, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. 

I am not only not hungry when I first awake, I can't even smell. All I want is a cup or three of hot English breakfast tea with scalded milk. 

However, I love breakfast food--eggs, bacon, grits, toast, oatmeal, French toast, so I make breakfast for dinner on a regular basis.  I especially enjoy it on gloomy days and we have had a lot of those lately.  And the groundhog told us that spring was just around the corner!

Here is a cheesy potato and spinach frittata I made. I served it with broiled red grapefruit and toast with jam for a comforting supper.

Potato & Spinach Frittata
3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil (more if needed)
1-10 oz. box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 eggs
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
Paprika

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in a 10-inch iron skillet, or other oven proof skillet, over medium heat. Add the potatoes and onions. Cook and stir, until the potatoes are browned and barely tender, adding more oil and adjusting heat as necessary.

Remove the potatoes from the heat and top with the spinach.

Beat together the eggs and 1/2 and 1/2, with the addition of salt and pepper, to taste. 

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and spinach and top with the cheese. Sprinkle the top with paprika.

Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Yum, this is a fitting dinner. I "need" coffee first, but then I am hungry. My husband however is not able to eat for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm love the look of this delicious fritata. I've got some eggs to use up and broccoli - this looks so tempting with a green salad. I'm sure I'll be cooking this very soon.

    ReplyDelete