Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lemony Greek Orzo Salad




 THE GLORY OF THE SEASON IS UPON ME. I adore summer and all the blessings it brings, including the fabulous childhood memories. Unfortunately, the joy is not shared by my beloved.

Each day, as I bask in the heat and humidity of our un-air-conditioned home, wearing only shorts, tank tops and my own bare feet, my husband is engaged in his extremely cold and arid occupation. Upon walking into the other-worldly climate of our home, he feels assaulted by the rain forest like atmosphere.  I am acclimated, of course, and don't feel one iota of discomfort, but I do understand his position.

Therefore, I try to keep heat producing activities, namely cooking and baking, to a minimum. Now is the time I go for great salads and sandwiches as meals. Any cooking, at all, like boiling pasta or steaming vegetables, gets done in the early morning hours.





I think grain salads and pasta salads make great summertime meals, don't you? Taking advantage of the season's harvest is really the only way to eat. I just love the fact that everywhere you turn, someone is selling or giving away garden fresh tomatoes, peppers, squash, okra, cucumbers, and beans.





Lemony Greek Orzo Salad
8 ounces orzo
1 small sweet onion
1 lemon
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 ounces feta cheese, chopped or crumbled
3 Tbsp. olive oil, to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Cook orzo in boiling, salted water, until tender.

Meanwhile, chop onion and place into bottom of a salad bowl. When orzo is done, drain and place on top of the chopped onion. Squeeze 1/2 of the lemon over the pasta and a generous grating of fresh black pepper. Mix together. This process infuses great flavor into the pasta.

Add cucumber, celery, tomato, and parsley to the salad bowl. Squeeze in the other half lemon, drizzle with the olive oil; stir to combine well. Gently stir in the Feta cheese.

Taste, adding salt, more pepper, lemon, or olive oil if desired.




6 comments:

  1. We just happen to have these items in the pantry and fridge right now, this sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I had everything on hand also and it made this quick and easy to put together. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  2. No feta on hand, but I've got some great locally-produced goat cheese. Which would go well in this, I think. I'm with your husband, though -- I like my air conditioned in this hot weather! But we still eat a lot of salads. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your locally produced goat cheese would be lovely with this, John. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  3. I think this will be our lunch tomorrow. Looks beautiful! And I made your kale tabbouleh. That was wonderful! I had a blood orange infused olive oil which I used. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, since you have access to such great seafood, how about adding some shrimp to the salad? I am intrigued by your blood orange infused olive oil. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete