Friday, May 7, 2010

Chocolate Banana Pudding

A traditional banana pudding, as I know it, is made with a vanilla custard layered with bananas and vanilla wafers, then topped with meringue. I decided to change things around and made chocolate pudding. Then I used animal crackers rather than vanilla wafers because, well because I really like animal crackers. And they're so cute! Lastly, I topped it with real whipped and unsweetened cream, lightly scented with vanilla.

Chocolate Pudding
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together the cocoa, sugar, and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Stir constantly, over low heat, until the mixture comes to a boil. Add the butter and vanilla, stir to blend, then remove from heat. Cool the pudding completely before layering with bananas and animal crackers.

Stirring the pudding was one of my jobs as a girl, while my Mother made the rest of the meal. (The salad was another of my jobs.) To this day, I love the peaceful stirring and staring at the swirling pudding mixture. It is so relaxing to me and it always reminds me of those cherished days in the kitchen with my mother.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds so good. I love homemade chocolate pudding and how can you go wrong by adding bananas and whipped cream :o) Oh and I love your animal crackers, they are cute. What brand are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susi, the animal crackers are the Barnum's Animals by Nabisco, in the little boxes with the string handle I used to prance around the grocery store with, while my Mother shopped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, wow I would have never thought LOL They don't look like them at all. Mine are always half broken and look NOTHING like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great switch up, it's almost like sundae pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love recipes like this one. It looks delicious. This is my first visit to your blog. I had intended only to say hello , but was lured by your prior posts and stayed longer than I had intended. I hope to visit more often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete