Friday, March 5, 2010

Things I Cannot Smell

Parmesan Cheese, Anchovies, Vanilla, Lemon, Shallot, Garlic, Coffee, Cinnamon, Cloves, Essential Oil of Patchouli

I was under the weather for a few days with what I diagnosed as the basic, old-fashioned "Common Cold". I had all the classic symptoms. Once the sore throat left, the earache had subsided, and I no longer had fever, I was left with no sense of taste or smell! Not a good thing for a serious cook. Add to that, the fact that I had no appetite or energy, and my husband wound up with Subway for supper two nights in a row, and other lame excuses for meals for a few days. Even when I tried to cook, things didn't go so well.

My taste started coming back, first with sweet. (Which supports my Mother's theory that old people like sweets so much because as tastebuds dull with age, the sweet taste remains the strongest.) The next taste restored was hot. Then along came salty. Yesterday, I tasted sour again. Finally today, I started realizing savory. Dull but getting there.

But I still can't smell a thing. Not even Patchouli!! Not even the loud perfume I got for Christmas last year. Nor the bacon I cooked.

Aarrghhh, I want my olfactory back.

2 comments: