Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cherry Poblano Slaw


Cabbage is one of Pritchard Parker's favorite vegetables so I use it often. There is a lot to say about cabbage. It is versatile, can be eaten cooked, raw, or fermented (sauerkraut/kimchi), is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and folic acid, tolerates winter gardens, stores well, and is cheap.


I have sauteed it, steamed wedges of it, used it in soups and stews, stir fries, stuffed it, rolled it, and of course eaten it raw. It teams up nicely with bacon and potatoes. It is famous alongside Corned Beef.


We love slaw and I am always dreaming up different ways to make it. Which is what happened yesterday when I was thinking of the head of cabbage in the fridge, in conjunction with the other meal plans I had in mind. I was thinking of a Southwestern or Carribean twist. I have used fruits in slaw before. . . Aha! I also had about a pound of cherries on hand, so I knew what I would do.




Cherry Poblano Slaw

1 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh cherries, pitted and halved
3 medium poblano peppers, diced
Mix together in large bowl.


Dressing
1/4 cup lime juice
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into chunks
2 tsp. lime zest
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

Place all ingredients into mini food processor, or blender, and puree until smooth and emulsified. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Chill, in refrigerator, for about 2 hours before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great slaw. I have some cherries in the refrigerator leftover from making a clafouti so this would be a perfect way to use them. Slaw is so much fun to experiment with and I like the lime zest in your dressing. Think we'll have to try this recipe this week.

    Thanks for following my kitchen. I really appreciate it. Sounds like we might live in the "same neck of the woods" as they say up here.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think we are in the same neighborhood. Let me know if you try the slaw. If I'd had a tablespoon of cilantro, I would have added it too. But it is not an herb I like enough to purchase a whole bunch.

    Perhaps our paths will cross some day. . .

    ReplyDelete