Sunday, May 10, 2009

Church Lady Salad


The ladies at my Mother's church love this salad for their luncheons. Because I live 325 miles from Mama, I will not be seeing her today, but I will talk to her. I have been thinking of her and I used one of her recipes as part of the lunch I prepared for my lovely Mother-in-law, Phloxy.

My mother has bestowed a great gift to me: knowledge of the joy and fulfillment that comes with the nurturing of the body and soul of people you love with home cooked food.

Strawberry Congealed Salad
1 1/4 cup coarsley crushed pretzels
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup, butter, melted
Mix together; press into a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish. Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool.
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. Cool Whip
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Whip together and spread over cooled pretzel crust.
2 cups water
1 large (6 oz.) strawberry Jello
16 oz. strawberries
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Boil water; add Jello, then fruit. Allow to thicken. Spoon over top of crust and cheese layers.
Chill until firm.
This is exactly as she wrote the recipe for me. I have always been amused that Southern ladies refer to such congealed concoctions as "salad". But I have to admit that it was surprisingly refreshing and tasty as part of our lunch.
Moms are the Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment