Thursday, May 28, 2009

5 Organic Eggs


For cooking and baking, I use regular commercial eggs, which remain one of the few food items that doesn't shock me with the price. However, for an "eating egg", the organic egg is far superior in taste. I had 5 left and was trying to think of a way to use them while they were still nice and fresh. I was also eyeing a jar of home canned tomatoes. I was thinking along the lines of Huevos Rancheros. I checked a little online, found a recipe in Martha's Everyday Food which was blogged about by our friends at The Bitten Word and sounded good, so I sort of made that.





Eggs Baked in Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Quart tomatoes
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh herbs, your choice, I used rosemary, parsley, oregano
4 plump cloves garlic, sliced
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
5 organic eggs
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan, the add the garlic and herbs. Stir for a couple minutes until very fragrant. Add tomates and heat through. Add 1/2 the cheese and stir until melted. Pour tomato sauce into a shallow baking dish, crack eggs and slip into the liquid. Sprinkle with the remainder of the parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree for about 20-25 minutes, until eggs are desired doneness.

The servings suggestions I saw recommended crusty bread for dipping in the sauce. I served mine Southern style, with stone ground grits and hot biscuits.




No comments:

Post a Comment