Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Magic Cake


MAGIC CAKE CYCLED through the food blog circuit about a year ago. I was intrigued by these pretty little squares and finally decided to try them out.

One thin batter really does separate into three different layers during baking, but I would not necessarily call it cake. Perhaps "Chiffon Custard" more accurately describes it but I really love the name, "Magic Cake"

The recipe is rather fussy to make; you must separate eggs, beat the whites separately, warm the milk, melt butter. I enjoy this type of baking and I will make this recipe again, maybe with a twist next time, but this is not something to make in a hurry.  Also, it needs to cool for at least 2 hours before cutting.

Magic Cake
4 eggs, separated, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup flour
2 cups warm milk
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 8 x 8 inch baking dish.

Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.

Beat egg yolks and sugar until light. Add melted butter and vanilla and continue beating another minute or two. Add flour and mix well.

Slowly add the milk (milk must be warm or the butter will seize up) and mix until well combined. Add the stiffened egg whites to the batter, one third at a time, gently folding in each addition with a spatula.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the cake is no longer jiggly.

Cool completely before cutting into squares. Dust with powdered sugar.



4 comments:

  1. I've somehow missed this! And even though it's more chiffon than cake, Magic Chiffon just doesn't sound right.;-) Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, yes Magic Cake just sounds better doesn't it? Next time, I think I'll add some cocoa to make it a Chocolate Magic Cake. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I missed it also. This looks delicious. I love custard, custard with a top and bottom crust seems even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I think this would be lovely with some fresh fruit. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete