Sunday, May 15, 2011

Homemade Grape Jam and Angel Biscuits


Sometimes my husband likes to shop for groceries. And when he does, he brings home the most beautiful foods.  He will call and ask if I need anything; if I do I say, but otherwise I tell him to buy whatever looks good to him, bring it home, and I will cook it. I love when he does this.  It inspires me to make things I may not have ordinarily thought of.  He recently came home with a bag of grapes

I thought about those thin-skinned, seedless red grapes for a couple of days, then decided to make a small batch of grape jam, which is one of Pritchard Parker's favorites for his Amazing Waffle Stack.

A Small Batch of Grape Jam
Approximately 2 pounds seedless, thin-skinned grapes
2 cups sugar
Juice from half a lemon, about 1 Tbsp.

Wash the grapes and slice in half. Put into a large pot with sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir often to make sure the mixture is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. If it starts to stick, lower heat to avoid scortching.

Pour the mixture into a clean pint jar and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until used--which probably won't take long.



My friend, Melynda, recently blogged about Angel Biscuits (even though she is not a Southerner-wink wink) and some of the things she made with the dough. I loved her idea of cutting the biscuits into a scone shape, rather than rolling them out. 

I blogged about Angel biscuits a couple of years ago. I listed my recipe here and blogged again about what I did with those bits left from rolling and cutting the dough, here.

When I made my Angel biscuits, earlier in the week, I divided the dough and used half to make the scone shaped biscuits. The other half of the dough has been hiding out in the refrigerater for a couple of days and today I have a surprise for it.  So stay tuned. . .

3 comments:

  1. Love the look of that beautiful jam! You can bet I will be tuned into what you are going to share next! Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jam looks so beautiful. I'm inspired to make some this weekend. Maybe I will! ;-)

    ReplyDelete