Friday, April 22, 2011

Sesame Chicken


I love the flavor of sesame seeds. It is amazing how much flavor those tiny seeds have, especially when they are toasted. When I was a girl, I was always so happy when Mama sprinkled them on her homemade breads. I don't know why I never told her that; I'm sure she would have happily used them more often. . .

This is a simple Sesame Chicken recipe. There are more complex ways to prepare this dish which surely add more depth of flavor. But for a simple weeknight supper, you really can't miss with this one. 

Sesame Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, patted dry and cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
2  cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds, plus more for serving

To toast sesame seeds, place them in a small, dry skillet (preferably stainless) and roast slowly over low heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the seeds turn golden brown, give off a nutty fragrance, and begin to pop, about 20 minutes.

In a large skillet,  brown the chicken pieces in a little oil over medium high heat.

While the seeds toast and the chicken browns, make the sauce. Combine the honey, soy sauce, water, cornstarch, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and teriyaki sauce. 

When the chicken is brown, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the toasted sesame seeds. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the chicken begins to absorb the sauce.

Serve with rice and garnish with additional toasted sesame seeds


For additional information about sesame seeds, see Gomasio

3 comments:

  1. I love sesame seeds too and sesame chicken! This looks better than the take-out I order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore sesame seeds myself. Their nutty, distinct crunch, it adds so much flavor. I'm sure your sesame chicken is delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh ginger in anything.

    ReplyDelete