Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fresh Fruit, Granola and Yogurt Parfaits



I have already said that Baby loves the movie, Shrek. Baby loves Shrek. I really can't emphasize enough, how baby loves Shrek. Some days we watch Shrek in a continuous loop all day long. 

But don't get the idea that Baby is a couch-potato. She actually stays quite busy while Shrek is playing--running her popcorn popper, scattering every toy from her toy box, taking out every one of her books to read, going through my stack of recycling and scattering it about, drinking from the dog bowl, climbing on things and scaring me, bathing her stuffed animals in the toilet. You get the idea.

When she hears one of her favorite parts of the movie, she runs to the tv to watch it. Some scenes make her laugh. Some make her dance.  Or she may want to sit in my lap and rock.

My own favorite scene is the one where Donkey is following (and irritating) Shrek, who is on a quest to rescue a princess from a tower guarded by a fire breathing dragon. Shrek is an ogre and is trying to explain to Donkey that Ogres are like onions--they have layers.

Donkey says, You know, not everybody likes onions. Cake!  Everybody loves cakes. Cakes have layers. Shrek shouts,  I don't care what everybody likes. Ogres are not like cakes.

Donkey persists by saying, You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "No, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious. Parfaits may be the most delicious thing on the whole damn planet. Do you have a tissue or something? I'm making a mess. Just the word parfait makes me start slobbering.

Fresh Fruit, Granola and Yogurt Parfaits
2 cups fresh fruit
2 cups granola
2 cups vanilla yogurt

Line up 3 or 4 glasses. Put 2 tablespoons of yogurt in each one. Top with 2 tablespoons of granola, then top that with a couple tablespoons of yogurt. Continue layering in the same order until all the ingredients are used.

These parfaits can be a healthful and satisfying breakfast or an elegant dessert.




Shared with Sweets for a Saturday #13 at the blog, Sweet as Sugar Cookies

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! And I always enjoy an update on Baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of my favorite flavors--and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make this at my house too. It all started when step granddaughter's bio-dad re-surfaced (another story). He was allowed (with supervision) to take her to McDonalds. After that she was McDonalds crazy. Being the old grump that I am, I told her that I wouldn't take her because it wasn't healthy. She asked if anything at McDonalds was healthy. A compromise needed to be found. We went to McDonalds for their yogurt partfaits. And we've been making fruit and yogurt parfaits at home ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! And just like sandwiches, everybody loves parfaits! One of my favorite things - looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete