Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cabbage Salad with Sweet and Hot Nuts

We have begun to have a day here and there with temperatures reaching up to 50 degrees. I have lived in these mountains long enough to know that we have a lot more cold weather in front of us (and most likely more snow).  So it is definitely not time to put away the soup pot. 

Yet, at this time of year, with the days growing incrementally longer, I start wanting to eat something crunchy. And I don't mean potato chips.  I mean substantial real food. When I spotted this salad on the Edible Europe blog, I knew I would try it. I thought it would be the perfect accompaniment to a warming and heartier dish. And it was.

I changed very little about the original recipe.  Mainly I chopped my vegetables differently due to personal preference, and I omitted the cilantro.  I was a little concerned about using whole almonds but I shouldn't have worried. They baked up light and crispy and were a delicious addition to an already delicious salad. 

Cabbage Salad with Sweet and Hot Nuts
1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup whole raw almonds
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. honey

1 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
4 Tbsp. olive oil

1 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Line a small rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.  Add almonds and coarse salt.  Cook until almonds are lightly toasted, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in cayenne.  Drizzle 1 Tbsp. honey over and stir to coat. Spread almonds on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Stir almonds and bake an additional 10 minutes until they are almost dry. Remove from oven and cool completely.

Whisk together 1 Tbsp. honey, the rice vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the 4 Tbsp. olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Combine vegetables in a salad bowl.  Pour over the dressing and toss to coat. Add almonds and toss again to coat. 



4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe, cabbage salads are one of my favorites! Healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds crispy and flavorful. I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cabbage and this is a unique and delicious way to eat it! I am craving freshness like this too!

    ReplyDelete