Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Nachos

Once upon a time, I had a job that required working every Saturday. It was a job I got to sit down either on the potty, or to eat lunch, otherwise I was on my feet all day, and stairs were also involved. So, I was usually pretty tired by Saturday. I fell into a habit of making Nachos every Saturday night. Saturday became known as "Nacho Night", not just to us but also to everyone who knew us--friends, co-workers, and family would say, "It's Nacho Night". And this went on for several years. I would make a big platter of Nachos, bring it to the coffee table with a couple of brewskies, and we'd eat and watch TV. I got very creative with these Nachos, so they varied each week, using different cheeses and other ingredients (often leftovers from the week's dinners). Each week my husband would say, "Mmmm, these are the best Nachos ever!"

I got in the mood for some Nachos but it was entirely too hot to use the oven. In my ongoing quest to eat cold food, I decided to make a chilled version of one of our favorites.

Summer Nachos
2 medium tomatoes, cubed
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup sliced black olives
4 cups (approx.) shredded crisp lettuce
6 oz. freshly shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 can pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed with 1/4 cup salsa
6 oz. sour cream

Layer from the bottom up. Drizzle top with a couple tablespoons of salsa and serve with your favorite tortilla chips.

8 comments:

  1. I love your exquisite efforts in the face of such heat. I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything that helps beat the heat is a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and looks fantastic, but what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, we loved it. I'll make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look and sound fantastic. I am new here, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I love your recipes and will be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, if summer ever comes here, I plan to make this version!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe I missed this post last year. I love your idea of 'cold' nachos & wish I could whip up a batch right away.

    ReplyDelete