Thursday, April 29, 2010

Impossible Coconut Pie with Bittersweet Chocolate

Here is another recipe inspired by JennyMac. I made it for my eating machine--he loves coconut. JennyMac's blog post reminded me of all those "impossible" Bisquick pies from the 1980's, both sweet and savory, the premise being that it makes its own crust.

JennyMac adapted her Impossible Coconut Pie from the original, which is certainly her prerogative, and something I do more times than not, when "following" a recipe. But I was curious to see the original. An online search proved this recipe to be extremely popular. Many, many people recommended using a blender to combine the ingredients. But I say Nay! a bowl and spoon work just fine. I did take my pie one step further and smear some melted bittersweet chocolate on the top.

I ate just a bite of the pie so I could blog about it, and the rest is for Pritchard Parker. It is very custardy and reminds me of the old-timey egg custard pies my Grandmother used to make.

Impossible Coconut Pie
1 cup coconut
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup softened butter
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs, lightly beaten

Combine all ingredients well. Pour into a buttered pie plate. Bake at 350 degrees, until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.




2 comments:

  1. This sure sounds delicious, what is Bisquick?


    U like Giveaways ,dont u?
    Specially super ones,well this one awaits u too:-))
    http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-1st-sunshine-giveaway-thanxxx-aton.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a dark-chocolate/coconut impossible pie (like the taste of the Mounds candy bar, which I love. I happened upon this pie altho disappointingly it does not tell how to add the bittersweet chocolate.

    But I saw the question from Sugar Plum Fairy and see no response, therefore decided to answer just in case...

    Bisquick is a baking mix (like a pancake mix, only not) available all over the USA as far as I know...maybe you are from somewhere else. But there is a recipe for home made baking mix that can be used as an equivalency to Bisquick and here it is:

    Bisquick Mix Substitute
    Makes about 10 cups.
    8 Cups Flour
    1-1/4 Cups Nonfat Dry Milk Powder
    1/4 Cup Baking Powder
    1 Tablespoon Salt
    2 Cups Shortening

    Combine flour, milk, baking powder, and salt in a very large bowl.
    Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
    Store in tightly closed covered container in a cool place.

    Hope Sugar Plum Fairy finds her way back to this page, or at least to the Nutcracker!!

    carol.lynnm@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete