Thursday, April 22, 2010

Start Homemade Vanilla Extract Now to be Ready for Christmas Baking

I was recently inspired to make my own Vanilla Extract by JennyMac's blog. For the life of me, I don't know why I've never thought of this before. I've made lots of herbal tinctures and extracts, yet it never clicked in my mind, to apply the same principal to a culinary extract.

JennyMac discusses the savings at her blog, and while my math comes up differently, there is an astounding difference in cost (as are all things homemade). I whined to myself last December, during my cookie baking extravaganza, every time I had to buy another bottle of vanilla extract. This year I will smile.

Vanilla Extract
6 best quality whole vanilla beans
2 cups vodka

Split vanilla beans, lengthwise, and place into a bottle which has a tight-fitting lid. Pour the vodka over the beans, seal and shake well. Shake every couple of weeks. Store in a dark place for approximately 6 months.

Watch for an update in a couple of months. . .

5 comments:

  1. I want to do this too. I was thinking about giving this as Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! You will sooooooooo love having this around to use....i especially love how when I shake it before to use....I get bonus flecks of vanilla in my baking. I will never buy vanilla ever again. Be sure to start making your next batch before the first one runs out!!!

    Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been toying with this idea as well but have yet to do it. Maybe I'll wait and see how yours turns out ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's planning ahead for Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so wonderful Rocquie.
    Thank you for thinking in advance and sharing it with us. Really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete