Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cheesy Potatoes


I don't have cravings for chocolate or sweets, nor for chips and salty foods. The one food I often crave is cheese. It has been my favorite food for as long as I can remember. And when I want cheese, nothing else will do. I can, have, and do easily and cheerfully give up meat but cheese is quite another thing. I think the French have the right idea with a cheese course for dessert.

I feel that food cravings are meaningful and should be acknowledged and considered. For example, some nutritionists believe a shortage of magnesium can cause cravings for chocolate. Cravings for ice and starch usually indicates a defiency in iron. My own cheese cravings probably point to my body's need for calcium and vitamin B12, which I also try to supplement with leafy greens, legumes, and sesame, because in spite of cheese's great nutrition profile, it is a fatty, salty food, which can be difficult for some to digest.

I like to eat potatoes too because of their high concentration of potassium, which is proven to regulate blood pressure. These cheesy potatoes, along with some steamed greens, makes a very satisfying meal.

Cheesy Potatoes
2 pounds small waxy potatoes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
5 - 6 scallions, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup grated Gouda cheese

Scrub the potatoes well and cook in boiling, salted water until fork tender.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the scallions and cook for a minute or two. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the tomatoes, the cumin, and the water. Stir and cook until a sauce forms, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted.

Drain the potatoes and slice thickly into a serving bowl. Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and freshly grated black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment