Thursday, March 7, 2019

Sauerkraut Salad






SAUERKRAUT SALAD IS A FAIRLY NEW DISH in our family. I first experienced it when a friend asked me to go with her to visit her aunt.  Auntie served us a meal of "soup beans" (pinto beans), cornbread, sauerkraut salad, and iced tea. I swooned from the deliciousness.

The salad reminded me of chow-chow, which I love with beans and with a summer vegetable plate. But this salad is much, much easier to make with sauerkraut than with fresh cabbage. And sauerkraut has surprising health benefits.

This salad can also be served as a relish for hot dogs, as a topping for a pulled pork sandwich, as part of a cold salad plate. What other ways can you think of serving this?

I have experimented with the recipe I was given. The first thing I did was cut way back on the sugar. The next thing was add heat by way of fresh jalapenos. Other things I think about are ginger, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed.

I'm sure I will continue to tweak. Here is a recipe to get you started.





Sauerkraut Salad
3 cups sauerkraut
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 (2 oz.) jar sliced pimiento
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Drain before serving or serve with a slotted spoon.




7 comments:

  1. Neat salad! I've heard of this, but have never had it (or haven't made it, obviously). Sounds really good. Loads of jalapeno for me, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I am so glad I learned of this delicious salad. I have made it several times. The jalapeno really adds to the recipe. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the jar of fermented South Carolina Coleslaw I have aging in my cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I hope you will blog about your fermented slaw--I'm curious. But I bet this is much easier, especially when you start with sauerkraut. However, homemade is always better. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love sauerkraut and I make it myself, looks so yum ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, I love sauerkraut too, but I have never made it. I should try it sometime! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Great recipe better than eating my homemade kraut straight out of jar.LOL Tanks Sage

    ReplyDelete