Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Crockpot Apple Butter

This is the first time I have made apple butter and I couldn't be happier with the results. I made mine from fresh apple sauce made with fresh apples. Yes, apple butter starts with apple sauce. You can make your own apple sauce, as I did, or you can make your apple butter with canned applesauce.

Know that for a good apple butter, you will cook and reduce the apple sauce by half. I started with approximately 9 quarts of apple sauce, and finished with 9 pints of delicious and rich apple butter.

The amount of sugar and spices, varies according to your tastes. I like my apple butter less sweet, less spicy, and more apple-y flavored.

Apple Butter
9 qts. apple sauce
1 to 4 cups sugar (I used 1 cup)
2 tsp. to 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon (I used 2 tsp.)
1/4 to 1 tsp. ground cloves, if desired (I did not)
1/4 tsp. allspice, if desired (I did)

Fill a 6 quart crockpot with apple sauce, to within 1 inch of rim. Stir in desired amount of sugar and spice. Set on low and cover with a spatter screen. Cook for 6 to 12 hours, until reduced by half. (I cooked mine overnight). Taste and add additional sugar and spice, if desired, then add the remainder of the applesauce and cook for 2 or 3 more hours.

Eat, freeze, and/or process in hot water bath. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This apple butter looks amazing! I made some myself a couple weeks ago -- screams fall. Hope to see you at Sugar High Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves apple butter. I've never tried making it myself. If only I had a crock pot......
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE crock pot apple butter! I only use apples, though. No sugar or spices. Man- about a bushel of apples makes 4 pints of apple butter :) So delicious- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I have a good working crockpot, I will make this. Love apple butter.

    ReplyDelete