Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Fork Tender Oven Braised Corned Beef






THE TRADITIONAL ST. PATRICK'S DAY Corned Beef and Cabbage is my husband's favorite meal of the year! This year I took a different approach. Since the day was on a Sunday this year, my thoughts turned to brunch and home fries. I had made Irish Soda Bread, which we had toasted and smeared with sweet Irish butter.

Rather than Mimosas, we made Black Velvet Cocktails. I recently learned of this libation from the excellent blog, Kitchen Riffs. It is made from Guinness stout and Champagne. Very different, delicious, and celebratory. Thanks, John.

I also cooked the corned beef differently than my usual. I normally braise it on the stove top or on working days, the crock pot. This year, I oven braised it in beer--I used Guinness Stout, because I had it on hand. Use any beer you like. The brisket was moist, juicy, and so very tender. I'm pretty sure I will always cook it this way.







Oven Braised Corned Beef in Beer
4 lb. flat cut corned beef
12 ounce bottle beer
Water as needed

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Open corned beef in your clean sink. Save the spice packet. Rinse the brisket and pat dry with paper towels. Dispose of the liquid from the package. Trim off any excess fat.

Place the corned beef into a large, heavy Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, fat side up. Sprinkle with spices from the packet. Add the beer. Use water, if needed, to bring the liquid barely to the top of the corned beef.

Cover and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn oven to 300 degrees and continue cooking for another 2 1/2 hours.

If desired, add vegetables about 1 hour before the end of cooking time.







4 comments:

  1. Must share this with my daughter, we love corn beef and Guinness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I hope y'all love it as much as we did! If you love Guinness, don't forget to try the Black Velvet Cocktail. Thank you so much for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. Aw, thanks for the link love! And thanks for this terrific recipe. I haven't had corned beef braised in beer in ages and ages -- need to try that again. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, while the corned beef was on sale, we bought an extra. It is in the freezer waiting until we want to do this again. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete