Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Clam Chowder




IT WAS A COLD AND GLOOMY DAY with freezing rain and I was thinking about food. Looking out the window, it looked magical with the tree branches sheathed in a layer of ice. But there was no way I was going slip sliding to the grocery store.

Fortunately, I keep a well stocked kitchen. Even though I was a little short on fresh foods, I did find a couple of cans of clams and a bottle of clam juice lurking in my pantry. I was well on the way to a creamy and cozy dinner. The recipe I used called for half and half which I did not have, but I always have cans of evaporated milk in the pantry. Evaporated milk makes a fantastic substitute for cream in recipes.






Clam Chowder
4 slices bacon
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup water
1 (8 oz.) bottle clam juice
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/3 cup flour
2 cups half and half, divided
2 (6 1/2 oz,) chopped clams, undrained

In soup pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to drain and set aside. Saute the celery and onion in the drippings in the pan until tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.

In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half and half until smooth. Gradually stir into the soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for about 1 - 2 minutes until thickened.

Stir in clams and remaining half and half. Heat through but do not boil. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle over each serving.




4 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I like that the clams are added with the cream, for some reason I have added them with the potatoes, all these years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melynda, I guess I add them at the end because they don't really need to be cooked and I worry about them getting tough. I hope you are well and thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  2. I haven't made clam chowder in years! Love the stuff -- both creamy, like this, or the tomato-based versions. Yours looks excellent -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never actually had the tomato based clam chowder but I'm sure I would like it too. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete