Thursday, March 1, 2018

"Homemade" Pita Chips with Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper




 "HOMEMADE" IS IN QUOTES because I question whether these pita chips are actually homemade. Would homemade pita chips require homemade pita bread? Is this even a recipe?

I had a partial package of whole wheat pita bread sitting around for a few days. I knew they wouldn't be fresh for sandwiches so I decided to turn them into pita chips. As I browsed ideas for doing this, I noticed a common theme. People cut the pita bread into wedges and spread onto a sheet pan. Then in a mixing bowl, combine olive oil with desired spices. Then brush the front and back of each chip with the oil mixture.

I nixed that idea. If I did want to brush each side with the oil mixture, I would do it before cutting into wedges. I couldn't see brushing each individual chip, on each side. . .we are not making fancy canapes here. 

These are crisp and delicious and so easy to make. Did I mention they are much more economical than bags of pita chips?

Taylor the spices to what the chips will be served with, garlic is always good, smoked paprika, chili powder, and more. I used sea salt and cracked black pepper.






"Homemade" Pita Chips

Stale pita bread
Olive oil
Sea salt
Cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cut each pita into 8 wedges. Place in a bowl. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Toss together (I do this with my hands) until all wedges are coated. Spread in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake 8 --10 minutes until golden brown.







4 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with leftover pita! And I'd absolutely brush them with the olive oil mixture before cutting them into wedges -- only practical way to do it. Fun post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, we can never seem to get through a package of pita bread. This helps and we always polish off the chips. Thanks for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I will be glad when I can eat hummus again...but these chips would be good with a salad or even on their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melynda, I will be glad when you can eat hummus too. These pita chips are also good with guacamole, onion dip, pimiento cheese, and more. Thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete