Thursday, February 8, 2018

Braised Collard Greens




COLLARD GREENS ARE A STAPLE IN THE SOUTH.  All our barbecue restaurants offer them as a side choice. Diners with a meat-and-three type menu will have them. Our children start eating collard greens when they are still in the high chair.

Whenever we have family gatherings, I am volunteered to cook the collards. I am told mine are the best but I often wonder if it is really the fact that I am willing. They are a bit of work. It is work I enjoy; I love to cook, including washing and chopping vegetables with my good cutting board and my excellent sharp knife.

To prepare the collards for cooking, they must be washed and chopped. Some people prefer tearing them and that works just fine. I use a knife. First I cut out the tough inner stem, I stack a few leaves, roll them (a chiffonade if you  will) and slice into strips. I then put them into a sink fulll of cold water. Swish the leaves all around then let them sit for a few minutes. Feel the bottom of the sink. If you feel grit, remove the greens, drain the sink, and rinse away the sand. Refill the sink and rinse the collards again. Repeat until no more grit is detected.

I find the process to be mindful, contemplative, and relaxing.








We serve our collard greens with pepper sauce and by that I don't mean a hot sauce such as Tabasco. Pepper sauce is basically hot peppers and vinegar. If unavailable, just sit a cruet of apple cider vinegar on the table. 

Braised Collard Greens
1 1/2 pounds fresh collard greens, large stems removed, washed, and chopped
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
Salt and pepper - be generous

Using a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for a few seconds. Start adding the wet collard greens until the pot is full. Add the water; cover pan and simmer for a few minutes until the greens start cooking down then add the remaining greens.

Simmer until tender but not mushy, about 30 - 50 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.







4 comments:

  1. Love collards. I use a knife on them, too. They're great all by themselves (well, with pepper sauce; and I do like hot sauce as well), and superb when braised with smoked pork. Like 'em a lot in soups, too. Good post -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I sometimes make collard greens with smoked pork but I usually prefer keeping them vegetarian. Thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. You don't find collards often here in PNW, but they are gaining a larger fan club. I have only cooked them once, I will have to give them another try as soon as I see them at our Co-op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you don't have access to collard greens all the time. They are so delicious and nutritious. Thank you for the comment, Rocquie

      Delete