Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Egg Salad





EGG SALAD IS NOT ON A REGULAR ROTATION in our home. Why? It has just never been part of our repertoire. I don't remember my mother ever making it at home. I don't remember it being served at school or anywhere else for that matter. My husband doesn't especially like it so we never think about it. Except at Easter--to make use of some of those Easter Eggs.

There are so many ways to make this simple spread, the most basic being chopped hard boiled eggs mixed with mayonnaise. All kinds of add-ins can help up the flavor. Pickles, dill or sweet, are popular, onion, scallion, or shallot are good, celery, peppers, cheese, bacon, anchovies, and more.

Mustard is often used and I pondered the various types I had in the kitchen--stone ground, Dijon, honey mustard, and yellow ballpark mustard. Ultimately, I decided to use some mustard powder and I'm so happy that I did. I loved the flavor it imparted and the inner warmth reminded me of wasabi. In fact, next time I think I will try using wasabi.

I served the egg salad on sour dough bread with alfalfa sprouts. Delicious!






Egg Salad
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 rib celery, with leaves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 - 3 Tbsp. finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. paprika
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 - 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise (more to taste)

Mix all ingredients together to desired consistency. Chill before serving.








10 comments:

  1. We eat egg salad mainly at Easter, too. Don't know why we don't make it more often -- it's such good stuff, isn't it? Definitely want mustard in it. Sometimes we add curry powder, too. Anyway, your recipe looks excellent -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why don't we make egg salad more often--it is healthful, simple to prepare, and delicious? I am going to work to change that. The curry idea is intriguing. Thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. I am in the same camp, don't remember it often. However when I do, I always enjoy it greatly. Curry does sound good, but I also like the idea of the mustard powder, thanks. PS your food always looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I am going to try to remember egg salad more often. I ate it for breakfast and lunch three days in a row and loved it. Thank you for saying my food looks good; that means a lot to me. --Rocquie

      Delete
  3. I am not a big fan of egg salad, but I do occasionally like an egg salad sandwich. I never remember my mother fixing it either. The first time I ever ate one I was working through lunch one day and my boss brought me an egg salad sandwich that he had made. This recipe sounds delicious and I am definite going to try it. It's probably healthier than my go to grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be becoming more of an egg salad fan. However, it will never replace the grilled cheese. :-) Thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  4. I love egg salad sandwiches and prepare them with different add-ins: pimento-stuffed olive, dill pickles, or capers or crumbled bacon. There are some interesting variations with sauteed onions and mushrooms which I haven't tried yet. When I am too lazy to cook and peel eggs, I make "egg" salad with tofu or mashed chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I debated adding pimiento-stuffed olives in this but wound up serving some on the side. I like your idea of using tofu or mashed chickpeas. Have you tried those already hard boiled and peeled eggs they sell in grocery stores? I have not. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen already cooked and peeled eggs around here. I do know of a cafeteria where the chef's salad always had perfectly round and centered sliced eggs. Turns out they got them from a food service company in a long tube. Maybe you could steam cracked eggs in a pan and then make egg salad out of that.
      I also like your alfafa sprouts--so retro!

      Delete
    3. Hi Lynn, I usually see the already hard boiled eggs in the deli department of the grocery store. Don't alfalfa sprouts seems so retro? I still love them on sandwiches. Cheers, Rocquie

      Delete