Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Puttanesca Sauce




WE RECEIVED A CATALOG FOR Continuing Education classes for the upcoming Spring/Summer session at our local Community College. These classes are always excellent and I have taken a number of them over the years--some of them career related, but most for personal enrichment. I love the art classes.

As I was browsing this latest catalog, I noticed a class for Basic Keyboarding (which I don't need).
The description states, "Come and learn the ancient art of keyboarding using all ten fingers". Ancient? I might have said, traditional. How established does something need to be, to be considered ancient?  I did once hear someone say, "Back in ancient times--50 years ago.  . ."







I have heard various stories about Puttanesca sauce. Sauce of the harlot was invented as a quick to prepare sauce made from pantry staples, at night, when the markets are closed?  And from my understanding, it was invented in the mid-twentieth century. Between the fact that markets are now open 24-hours-a-day and this dish's creation in, like, 1960, make it ancient?






Puttanesca Sauce
(Grace Parisi/Food and Wine, 9/2007)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled
6 anchovy fillets
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 (35 ounce) can whole peeled Italian tomatoes with their juices, crushed by hand
Pinch of sugar
2 basil sprigs
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
1 Tbsp. capers, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices, Stir in the sugar, basil, olives, and capers. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and is reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper. Discard the basil springs and garlic.






6 comments:

  1. I've also heard this recipe dated back to the 50s or thereabouts. Hard to believe, though, that people haven't been combining tomatoes, olives, and so forth with pasta long before that! Anyway, one of my favorite pasta dishes, and yours looks wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think the magic of the sauce happens in the beginning with the combination of olive oil, garlic, anchovies, and red pepper. One of our favorite sauces too. Thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm, 50+ years is ancient? I guess I are one! Your sauce looks great, and puttanesca is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I once, at a fine Italian restaurant, had puttanesca sauce served over grouper with risotto on the side. That was a magical meal I will never forget. Thank you for taking the time to comment. xxoox, Rocquie

      Delete
  3. We went on a tour at my husband's alma mater, William & Mary, and visited the math building. There was a display of "Antiquated Calculating Devices", which included an abacus, a sliderule and a Texas Instruments calculator just like the one he used as an undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . .then you know what I mean. Thank you for your comment--it made me smile. --Rocquie

      Delete