Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Poached Mozzarella in Fresh Tomatoes



OUR TOMATO SEASON IS COMING TO A CLOSE. And I am eating as many as I can. This is a lovely, fresh, and flavorful way to use not only fresh tomatoes, but some of your fresh herbs. I will really miss stepping out the kitchen door to snip some fresh basil and parsley, won't you?






My Mother made this dish for me when I visited her last week. I loved it so much, I came home and made it again to share with Pritchard Parker.

It is Capri-like with the fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese, but it it served hot, as an open faced sandwich, with oozy cheese. The herb topping brightened with a squeeze of lemon juice adds another layer of fresh flavor.






Poached Mozzarella in Fresh Tomatoes
4 slices French bread, sliced 1/2" thick, brushed with olive oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups fresh tomatoes (about 4) peeled and diced
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. sliced fresh basil
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste
4 slices fresh mozzarella (1/2-inch thick)

Saute onion, garlic, and pepper flakes in oil over medium-high heat until onion softens, 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine; simmer until reduced by half, 5 minutes or so. Add tomatoes, broth, and vinegar; simmer until tomatoes begin to break down, about 10 minutes.

Toast bread under the broiler and set aside.

Toss herbs with lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper.

Add cheese to tomatoes, and cook gently until it's soft and a little gooey, 2 - 3 minutes.

Place toast in shallow bowls, lift a slice of mozzarella from the tomatoes, and place on the bread. Spoon more tomatoes around and top with some of the herb mixture.






8 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, Rocquie. I too, will miss my tomatoes and fresh basil. I think I'll seed some basil in indoor pots for the winter. Frozen basil just isn't the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I have never had luck with growing basil indoors but I hope you do. I will eventually turn my heart to fall vegetables and herbs (Rosemary!). Thank you for your compliment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. What a great dish! The squirrels got most of our tomatoes, although they've lost interest lately so we do have a few that are about to ripen plus plenty of green ones. This is terrific -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember, from your blog, about how you were trying to outsmart your squirrels. I thought this dish was pretty terrific when my Mom made it, so much so that I had to make it again. Thank you for your comment, John. Cheers, Rocquie

      Delete
  3. I think this looks lovely and the combination of crunchy bread, soft warm cheese and the tomatoes sounds great. I think it is the sweetness of the tomatoes we miss so in winter. We are going to pot up the basil and try to winter it over, we'll see.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, we really enjoyed this dish. I wish you luck keeping your basil going indoors. I have never had any luck with it, but of course I don't have the green thumb your husband does. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  4. I've never seen anything quite like this. It looks absolutely delicious. Your mother must be a fabulous cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, yes my Mother is a fabulous cook and I am so proud of her! She is very inspiring. Thank you for taking time to comment. --Rocquie

      Delete