Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Massaged Kale Salad with Dried Cranberries and Roasted Pecans


 KALE HAS BEEN THE WELL-DESERVED DARLING of the vegetable world for a couple of years now.

I'm never sure how something ordinary like kale, which used to be relegated to the never-eaten status of salad bar garnish rises to super stardom. But it sure did. I watched this happen, thinking all along. . .so what? I have always liked kale just fine but loved other greens (collards to name one) so much better. My husband is a spinach fan.





I even admit to thinking the concept of kale eaten raw in a salad was, frankly, unappetizing.

Then I tried Bettie M's salad. She had massaged the kale until something magic happened. Whoever first massaged mature, leathery kale leaves until they relaxed into something so tender and delicious was a true kitchen alchemist. Too bad I was so blasè about trying it for so long.





Massaged Kale Salad with Dried Cranberries and Roasted Pecans
1 large bunch kale, washed and dried
Olive oil, as needed
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
Dried Cranberries
Roasted Pecans

Cut or tear washed and dried kale into bite-sized pieces, discarding the tough stems. Place in a large salad bowl.

Rub olive oil onto the palms of your hands, then massage the kale for a couple of minutes until it becomes relaxed, bright green, and softens a bit.

Squeeze over the lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt. Toss well and taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice, olive oil, salt, or a grind of pepper if desired.

Garnish generously with dried cranberries and roasted pecans.




6 comments:

  1. OK, with your recommendation, I shall make this salad. I too have not become the kale activist in my kitchen. I don't want to have to wrestle with food once cooked, but I am happy to take it on in the raw state!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, this was one of the many times I fussed at myself for not trying it sooner. Surprisingly, the kale no longer has the taste or texture of "raw" after its massage. And it is fun to make. I hope you like it too, and thank you for your comment, Rocquie

      Delete
  2. Love your salad, but I must admit I can't keep my eyes off your fried chicken! I usually chop my kale fine when I use it raw, and like it that way. I should try massaging it. Although when it comes to greens, I actually like collards better. Or Swiss chard -- totally love that stuff. Good recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, yes I agree that collards are by far the best greens! I'm glad you like staring at my fried chicken--post coming soon. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  3. I don't admit this often, and especially not in foodie circles, but I almost always use baby kale because while I like the taste of kale, I hate the texture of the big stuff. I'll definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leesha, until I discovered this massaging method, I always steamed or braised kale--never ate it raw. I couldn't believe the change in texture the massage makes. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete