Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bacon Bay Chick Pea Nuts





CRISPY CRUNCHY OVEN ROASTED CHICK PEAS seasoned with bay leaves and bacon are finished with zesty Old Bay seasoning blend. These nutty peas are delightful for snacking and make a scrumptious topping for salads.




I have been scratching my head in wonderment for a few days. In one of my current food magazines, I saw an advertisement for a product I hesitate to call  food. It doesn't say what it is, but there in a full page, fancy, well photographed ad right in the middle of the issue, in all its glory, in graphic, large font are the words:

No Calories
No Fat
No Carbs
No Gluten
No Sugar
No Salt
No Dairy
100% Guaranteed

Wow!

Well, now that we have cleared up what it is NOT, may I ask, what in the heck it IS? I know what the photograph wants me to think it is, but I see you and what you really are.



So, shall we mention nutrition? protein? fiber? How about flavor? Crunch? Satisfaction?  These pea nuts have all that and more.

Bacon Bay Chick Pea Nuts
(Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine)
2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and patted very dry
3 slices bacon, chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread chickpeas, bacon, salt and pepper on a rimmed sheet pan. Roast for about 50 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crunchy. Toss with Old Bay Seasoning.





6 comments:

  1. I make roast chick peas all the time, but never with bacon. Or Old Bay seasoning. Both sound so good! Definitely will try this. After all, who can ever get enough bacon? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, yes bacon is a treat. This was my first time making roasted chick peas but it won't be my last! Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete
  2. So what was it? Water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, no, water would have been much more healthful. It was pure chemicals. Frankenfood. Brown in color to trick us into thinking it was chocolate--but not.

      Delete
  3. this sounds wonderful. I am on the look out for protein and these will be a great addition to my lunch, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, these do taste pretty wonderful. Thank you for your comment. --Rocquie

      Delete