Saturday, February 22, 2014

Brunch for One: Egg and Avocado Sandwich


 SATURDAY IS THE DAY Pritchard Parker and I usually do something fun. Most weekends we have a 4-year-old in tow and she calls our outings, "Adventures".  Some Saturdays I cook breakfast at home, usually pancakes or French toast. Others, we go out.

I have talked before about how my husband loves to shop, especially junk junque , antique, and thrift stores. I'm afraid the little one does too--she'll say, "Come. Look at some beautiful things; some gorgeous things". So I have taken to tagging along with them, though I am pickier about which stores I will go in.

I like looking at the china and crystal as well as old kitchen ware. I have enough china, kitchen ware, and old junk already, but lately I find myself admiring antique cake stands, especially depression glass, and I am afraid it only a matter of time before they start following me home.



This Saturday was different; I was alone. I am used to spending my weekday mornings alone. I wake quietly and sip tea while checking news, weather, updates on the many blogs I follow, and work on my to-do list. I am not ordinarily a breakfast eater, opting for a smoothie later in the morning.

But this morning I missed my pals and our Saturday morning breakfasts together.  I thought about making pancakes but that seemed too much for just myself, so I decided to cook an egg, which became an egg and avocado sandwich with a squeeze of lime juice, a sprinkling of Celtic sea salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Delicious.

Next week, we will have another adventure.


6 comments:

  1. I love egg sandwiches! Never thought to use avocado in one, though -- I should give that a try. Yours looks terrific. But wouldn't it have been more fun to photograph it sitting on a cake stand? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, eggs and avocados are great together. And yes, photographing my sandwich on a cake stand would have been fun but they haven't started following me home yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason my timing is off to catch your posts on my reader, here lately. I love this story about your thrifting, as we do that in this house also. Personally I cannot wait to see some of those lovely cake stands, right here, with cake of course! Now that I have been updated regarding avocado and eggs, I shall see what can be done with them in this kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melynda, I always think of you when I tag along on some of the Mister's "thrifting" adventures. I look forward to your egg/avocado ideas. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my idea of a perfect breakfast! Often, the simplest breakfast recipes are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is simple and perfect isn't it, Amanda? Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete