Sunday, January 20, 2013

Oatmeal Streusel Muffins



So, my husband has been on an oatmeal kick lately. I suppose it is his body's natural response as an antidote to all the rich foods and sweets from the holidays. Oats are a very nourishing and healing food and I understand his desire to eat them.

I ate oatmeal at lot when I was in the hospital and also quite a bit when I got home. I am taking a break from it now.

A couple of days ago, I decided to make some portable oatmeal for Pritchard Parker's morning commute by making oatmeal muffins. This is a recipe from Quaker Oats which I almost made as written. As I was mixing the batter, I was thinking that some raisins or diced apples would be good stirred in. Later, I was wishing I had listened to me and added some golden raisins. I did, however, add cinnamon which was not listed in the recipe. 



Oatmeal Streusel Muffins

STREUSEL
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tbsp. chilled butter, cut into pieces

MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray bottoms only of 12 muffin cups.

For streusel, combine oats, sugar, and flour. Cut in butter, using fingertips, until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

For muffins, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. In another bowl, combine milk, oil, egg, and vanilla and blend well. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, all at once, and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.

Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved streusel, patting gently.

Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan.


 
Try one with a smear of butter and a drizzle of honey.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I don't make muffins very often, and I am not quite sure why. They always look delicious when you make them! I'm thinking diced apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made streusel muffins some weeks back but they didn't look even half as good as yours. I like the idea of portable breakfast & make muffins a lot. I'm with you on mixing in diced apples - or even jumbo raisins. Yum .. :)

    ReplyDelete