Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Spa Vinaigrette


I have jumped on the "salad in a jar" bandwagon. I was recently piqued with this concept by a photo I saw on Photograzing which was submitted by Skinny Girl Trapped in a Fat Body.

I take my lunch to work everyday because it is easier, quicker, healthier, cheaper, and much, much tastier. Normally, I take leftovers from whatever I cooked for dinner and I pack it as I clean the kitchen. Every now and then, I don't have any leftovers and will make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Even peanut butter crackers and an apple. In a pinch, even a can of Campbell's cream of tomato soup. Anything from home is better than facing a fast-food-drive-thru.  And I don't have to get in my car and fight traffic just to get some hideous "food". I can sit in the breakroom, read, chat with coworkers about things other than work, make personal phone calls, and relax.  

In my next post, I will show you some of the different salads I have made for work and share some strategies.  For now, I will talk about dressing. 

Homemade salad dressing is a must for me. It is easy to make and admit it, salads are a bit of work to put together. Why spoil all the freshness with commercial, heavy dressings?  I especially like this very light, yet super flavorful dressing for spring.



Spa Vinaigrette
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sparkling mineral water (I like Perrier)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. (more to taste) grainy mustard
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1/4 tsp. each, salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a jar with tight fitting lid. Shake to emulsify. Taste and adjust seasonings. Makes 1 cup of dressing.



Enjoy.



4 comments:

  1. Hi! This sounds great, love the sparkling water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Your recipes are all so nice. I have an upcoming exam which requires me to cook a healthy breakfast within 40 minutes, can you give me a few suggestions ? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name itself is so refreshing & it's similar to a vinaigrette I do (minus the sparkling water). I have to agree - anything from home is so much better than the fast food drive!

    ReplyDelete