Saturday, December 31, 2011

Black-Eyed Peas for the New Year

Baby Eating Black-Eyed Peas 


 I would not consider starting a new year without eating some black-eyed peas for luck and so far, I have been a very lucky person.  


In the South, we also eat greens; in my family, we traditionally eat collards. The greens are for wealth and I feel extremely rich.


By luck and wealth, I don't mean I have won any lotteries or live in a mansion. Far from it. 


We live in a very modest home, which is warm and cozy. It is filled with books, laughter, harmony, family and friendship, doggie love, delicious and healthful food, peace, and gratitude. I feel perfectly content and extremely grateful.


Here are a few black-eyed pea recipes for consideration. Myself, I am taking a different direction this year. I'm going to make Curried Black-Eyed Peas (Lobia Tariwaala) and Saag Paneer---black-eyed peas and greens from another culture. I will be posting these recipes next weekend for my ongoing Curry-Palooza project.  


Crock Pot Black-Eyed Pea Soup


Hoppin' John

Texas Caviar

 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

1 comment:

  1. That Texas Caviar looks wonderful, and I have to make some! Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete