Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Salisbury Steak


I already had a dinner plan in mind. We love our vegetables and the planned dinner was going to be all vegetable and grain based.  Then the weather happened. It was cold, gray, dreary, and pouring rain. Suddenly the menu didn't seem appropriate or inviting. I seemed to need something heartier and more warming.

Spring is like that for me. It is not my favorite season--gasp, I know.  I love seeing and hearing the return of the songbirds, the greening of the earth, and the blossoms springing forth, but here in the mountains, it can be deceptively cold..  And I can't decide what to cook and it seems impossible to plan ahead. I never know if I'll want a nice salad or a hearty stew. 

I came across this recipe for Salisbury Steak, a blast from the past, and thought I'd try it. This recipe uses a can of soup which I usually avoid in my cooking. However, having said that, Campbell's is no stranger in my kitchen. This recipe turned out to be much more delicious than I imagined . Pritchard Parker was greeted with a wonderful aroma when he arrived home, after a hard day at the office, and driving through a downpour.  He walked in, sniffed, and smiled. That made me feel happy.

Salisbury Steak
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg
1 can French OnionSoup
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. mustard powder
1/4 cup water

Mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, and 1/3 cup of the onion soup.  Form into patties. In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown both sides of the patties.  Pour off excess fat.

Blend together the flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, and water.  Pour over the patties in the skillet.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes over low heat. 



1 comment:

  1. I love the first photo - how inviting it looks. Save me a place at the dinner table? ;-)

    ReplyDelete