Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Squash Bake

The other day, our next door neighbor, Chloe, brought over some squash from her garden, both yellow crookneck and zucchini. As I thought of how I wanted to use it, I knew I wanted to make a main dish for supper. I didn't want to make it too heavy and wanted the taste of the home grown squash to star. Yet I also knew I wanted a cheesy and crunchy crust to make it a super star, to make it substantial enough to satisfy.

Summer Squash Bake
(adapted from AllRecipes.com)

4 c. summer squash, sliced
1/2. Vidalia onion, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 c. milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook squash and onion, in a small amount of water, in a wide skillet, for about 5 minutes, until barely tender. Drain and place into a 2 quart casserole. Add the lightly beaten eggs and the milk, and salt and pepper to taste.


Mix the crushed crackers with the melted butter. Stir about one third of the cracker mixture along with one third of the cheese, into the squash.

Top with the remaining crackers, then cheese, and bake in a preheated 400 degree for about 25 minutes until bubbling and lightly browned.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds, and looks, mouth watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you think so. Thank you for your visit. I have spent some time at your blog, where you have several recipes I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The summer squash haven't arrived yet in WI, but when they do, I'll have a plan thanks to Sage Trifle. Looks delish and like it might be addictive. You might enjoy this similar recipe... http://poorgirlgourmet.blogspot.com/2009/04/carrot-casserole.html which I made in the Spring and enjoyed perhaps a little too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great way to enjoy some zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ritz is what makes it work. It was awesome
    Thank you neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your are welcome, neighbor--thank YOU for the squash! And we enjoyed your casserole too.

    ReplyDelete